The Weatherhead East Asian Institute invites applications for the role of Modern China Postdoctoral Research Scholar for 2020-2021. WEAI seeks a Postdoctoral Research Scholar who studies Modern China from any of a broad range of disciplines within the social sciences or the humanities. The Research Scholar will teach two courses directed at advanced undergraduate and M.A. students during their appointment as well as pursue his or her own research. The Research Scholar will participate in collaborative projects with other Modern China scholars, staff and students, and s/he will be an active participant in day-to-day WEAI programs and events.
As the University is currently configuring the academic calendar for 2020-2021, appointment dates for this role are tentatively set, September 1, 2020–August 31, 2021. It is likely that at least one of the two courses offered by the Research Scholar will take place during the summer term, the last of three terms during AY20-21. The position comes with shared office space and access to the libraries and resources of Columbia University. The incumbent is eligible for a number of benefits, including health and dental.
- Priority given to Columbia graduates; external graduates considered
- Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (dissertation completed and filed) between May 1, 2017 and August 1, 2020.
- Applications from individuals who hold or have held full-time teaching positions will not be considered.
To apply, submit application materials to Rattana Bounsouaysana (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applicants are required to send all files in one email or to upload them to a cloud-based application and send the URL via email for full consideration. Faxed or mailed applications will not be considered.
- Application Cover Sheet
- 1-2 page Cover Letter that briefly states your interest in the program, your background, and a summary of your research
- Curriculum Vitae, up-to-date and including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Two Letters of Reference (provided via Interfolio or emailed directly from the referee to Rattana Bounsouaysana [email@example.com]) that include an evaluation of the applicant’s research and prior teaching experience (if any)
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before June 19, 2020. Candidates may be invited for an interview to be held by phone or video. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
Awards will be announced no later than July 10, 2020. Acceptance of award is due no later than July 17, 2020.