FLAS awards are contingent upon funding from the U.S. Department of Education.
Provides a tuition grant of $18,000 and a stipend of $15,000 for intensive study of Chinese, Japanese or Korean at the third-year level or above, and Tibetan at the second-year level or above. Recipients must be enrolled in a program of instruction formally approved by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants must be American citizens or permanent residents.
Note: GSAS may supplement the award for departmental fellows to make it comparable to other fellowships.
- Federal government program that funds foreign language study
- US citizens and permanent residents are eligible
- Eligible East Asian languages include:
- Chinese (at 3rd year level or above)
- Japanese (at 3rd year level or above)
- Korean (at 3rd year level or above)
- Tibetan (at 2nd year level or above)
- For academic year language study (one language course in each of two semesters)
- Must also take two area (East Asia) studies courses
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student’s school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student’s school.
- FLAS recipients must submit a report at the end of the grant cycle, as well as commit to completing periodic brief surveys.
- $18,000 tuition grant
- $15,000 stipend (GSAS doctoral students already receiving departmental funding will receive both the FLAS stipend and a portion of the GSAS stipend)
- Average of eight awards per academic year
- Selection criteria include
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to the language and using it as part of long-term academic or professional career goals
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents
- M.A. or Ph.D. students from all Columbia schools
- For advanced East Asian language study, or for beginning or intermediate study for students who have already attained the advanced level in another East Asian language
- US Department of Education Approved Language Program
- Please apply through the GSAS Website here