- Provides summer funding for projects focused on politics, economy, business, international and public affairs, law, society, and media in modern East or Southeast Asia
- All GSAS, Teachers College, and professional schools (Business, Journalism, Law, Public Health, Medical, Social Work, SOA, SIPA) students
- Priority will be given to students for research or secured internships in Southeast Asia, and to students who wish to use their research or internship to expand their expertise beyond their main country of interest.
- Projects dealing with Japan are not eligible
- Partial support for travel and cost of living expenses (amount varies between $1,000 and $3,000)
- Average of seven awards per summer.
- Selection criteria include
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated commitment to Southeast or East Asia, and to incorporating it in one’s long-term academic or professional career goals
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student’s school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student’s school.
Students may submit an online fellowship application at http://weai.smapply.io. This fellowship requires the following:
– Application Form
– Project Proposal
– Official Columbia University Transcript
– One Letter of Recommendation