Provides a maximum award of $8,000 for intensive summer study of Chinese, Japanese or Korean at the third-year level or above, and Vietnamese or modern Tibetan at the second-year level or above. Recipients must be enrolled in a credible program of instruction approved by the Fellowship Committee.
- Only non-U.S. citizens and non-Permanent Residents are eligible
- Eligible East Asian languages include
- Chinese (at 3rd year level or above)
- Japanese (at 3rd year level or above)
- Korean (at 3rd year level or above)
- Tibetan (at 2rd year level or above)
- For a full-time course of summer language study in the United States or abroad
- Up to $8,000 for tuition and other program expenses
- One award available for Summer 2019
- Selection criteria include:
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to the language and using it as part of long-term academic or professional career goals
- Non-U.S. Citizens
- Open to Columbia University undergraduate students
- For advanced (3rd year or above or 2nd year or above for Tibetan) East Asian language study, or for beginning or intermediate study for students who have already attained the advanced level in another East Asian language
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student’s school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student’s school.
- Recipients must submit a report at the end of the grant cycle, as well as commit to completing periodic brief surveys.
Students may submit an online fellowship application at http://weai.smapply.io. This fellowship requires the following:
– Application Form
– Project Proposal
– Official Columbia University Transcript
– One Letter of Recommendation