Happy Spring Semester!
Dates to Remember:
Request for Proposals for Events for Spring 2019 was December 1, 2018. For Fall 2019 the deadline will be posted in late spring.
Request for Proposals for Workshops and Conferences for the 2018-2019 AY was August 21, 2018. For the 2019-2020 AY the deadline will be posted in late Spring
Access our Events Calendar here.
For questions regarding the following:
Events, Brown Bag Lectures, Conferences, etc. contact Athina (email@example.com)
Finances and Reimbursements contact Ryan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IT and Website contact Pippa (email@example.com)
MARSEA and Student Affairs contact Lucy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Newsletter, Press, and Communications contact Ariana (email@example.com)
Professional Fellows contact Sydnei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Visiting Scholars contact Rattana (email@example.com)
70th Anniversary and Special Programs contact Natalie (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reimbursement Guidelines: CU Faculty, Students, Staff
*Please refer to the WEAI Business Procedures PowerPoint, and the Columbia University Business/ Travel Expense policies for full policies.
To ensure the most efficient and expeditious manner in processing your reimbursement request(s), we ask that you please read and abide to the following guidelines:
• WEAI Business Procedures PowerPoint
• Columbia Business Expense Policy
• Columbia Travel Expense Policy
• All expenses must contain a valid business purpose that is necessary and reasonable in order to conduct University business and must provide a clear benefit to the University. Please be sure to include the business purpose with every reimbursement request.
• Please submit reimbursement requests in a timely fashion. Any receipts received by the department after 120 days of the last expense date may be subject to tax.
• All receipts (including meal receipts) must be itemized and include proof of payment (confirmation that a card was charged, or a copy of a bank statement highlighting the charge).
• Please see the list of non-reimbursable items.
Travel and Lodging
• Columbia expects the traveler to purchase an economy class airfare. Since there are different economy class tickets available (Basic, Main, Plus), the University will reimburse any ticket that is within the economy class.
• A flight may be upgraded to business or first class if there is a documented condition as to why an upgrade is necessary, or if the flight is in excess of 5hrs. If an upgrade is necessary, please obtain a quote for a round- trip economy flight as well at the time of booking and submit with your purchased ticket. The difference in the airfare total will be documented.
• Please ensure that the proof of payment is clearly visible and that the itinerary for the airfare is included.
• If using a federal grant, you must comply with the Fly America Act.
• Arrive the day before your event begins, and depart the day after it ends. Extending travel beyond the minimum days for personal reasons requires additional documentation, or travel will not be reimbursed.
• Up to $350 per night for domestic stays
• Up to $400 per night for international stays
• Please provide a final folio showing that payment was made and detailing all expenses incurred.
• Transportation must specify the origin and destination (i.e. taxi from airport to hotel).
• Car rentals should be booked through Hertz when possible. When using Hertz, do not purchase liability or any other insure from the agency. Loss/ Damage waiver and liability insurance is included under the Columbia contract.
• Provide a copy of the rental agreement with proof of payment.
• Gas purchases will only be reimbursed when renting a vehicle.
• For mileage reimbursements (using personal vehicle), please complete the TBER form and include a printout from Google Maps. The IRS sets a standard rate that will cover gas, repairs etc. for the vehicle. If tolls incurred, please submit a receipt/ EZpass statement showing the detail of the expense.
• Provide an itemized receipt showing all items purchased.
• Ensure proof of payment is visible on receipt (payment in Cash, Visa XXXX charged or similar).
• Provide the names of all participants at the meal (when number of attendees is 10 or less). If greater than 10, please include the total number of attendees.Business meetings involving only University personnel and students should not exceed the following thresholds (per person) excluding tips and tax:
• Up to $25 for breakfast
• Up to $35 for lunch
• Up to $50 for dinner