Currently accepting applications for academic year 2020-2021.
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute invites applications for the role of Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Modern Tibetan Studies for academic year 2020-2021. WEAI seeks a Postdoctoral Research Scholar who studies Tibet from any of a broad range of disciplines, including anthropology, environmental studies, film studies, gender studies, geography, history, literature, material and visual culture, political science, and religion. The Research Scholar will teach one course each semester as well as pursue his or her own research. At least one of the two courses will be a seminar in the Research Scholar’s area of expertise, directed at advanced undergraduate and M.A. students. The Research Scholar will participate in collaborative projects with other Tibetan studies scholars, staff and students, and s/he will be an active participant in day-to-day WEAI programs and events.
The appointment is for the 2020-2021 academic year, beginning September 1, 2020, ending May 31, 2021. The position comes with shared office space and access to the libraries and resources of Columbia University. The incumbent is eligible for a number of benefits, including health and dental.
- Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (dissertation completed and filed) between May 1, 2017 and August 31, 2020.
- Applications from individuals who hold or have held full-time teaching positions will not be considered.
- Preference will be given to candidates who speak Tibetan and who have the ability to read and write Tibetan at a basic level in order to conduct research using primary source materials.
To apply, submit application materials to Sydnei Easley (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applicants are required to send all files in one email or to upload them to a cloud-based application and send the URL via email for full consideration. Faxed or mailed applications will not be considered.
- Application Cover Sheet
- 1-2 page Cover Letter that briefly states your interest in the program, your background, and a summary of your research
- Curriculum Vitae, up-to-date and including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Course Evaluations for classes taught (if any)
- Two Course Syllabi for seminars (courses to be offered to M.A. and advanced undergraduate students)
- Three Letters of Reference (provided via Interfolio or signed, sealed, and mailed to the address below) that include an evaluation of the applicant’s research, proposed courses, and prior teaching experience
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before January 31, 2020. Candidates may be invited for an interview to be held by video, phone or in person. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
Awards will be announced no later than April 15, 2020. Acceptance of award is due no later than May 1, 2020.
Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Modern Tibetan Studies
ATTN: Sydnei Easley
Weatherhead East Asian Institute
420 West 118th Street, Room 922
Mail Code 3333
New York, NY 10027
For more information about the Modern Tibetan Studies Program, please visit our website: http://weai.columbia.edu/programs/modern-tibetan-studies-program/