2016-2017 INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute invites applications for a postdoctoral fellowship through the International Network to Expand Regional and Collaborative Teaching (INTERACT) program at Columbia University. This fellowship is for the academic year 2016-2017, and is open to scholars conducting research on East Asia within a global context. The fellowship will cover a 10-month period beginning August 1, 2016, and comes with a stipend of $43,000 plus $5,000 for each course taught (total compensation is $53,000).
INTERACT is a pioneering program at Columbia University that focuses on developing global studies in the undergraduate curriculum through a network of postdoctoral scholars focused on cross-regional, trans-regional, and interdisciplinary study. Columbia University will offer several INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowships in the 2016-2017 academic year, with candidates selected by centers and institutes across the University. Candidates will function as liaisons between their home unit and the INTERACT network of scholars with other regional and disciplinary specializations.
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute is pleased to offer one INTERACT Fellowship to an outstanding scholar of modern and contemporary East Asia with a demonstrated emphasis on global context and connections.
INTERACT’s primary goal is to improve global literacy among Columbia students and equip them to be leaders in a globalizing world. These objectives will be met through innovative courses, participating in Institute programs and events, and an annual outreach event organized collaboratively by INTERACT Fellows.
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute’s INTERACT Fellow will devote half of his/her time to teaching and working with other Fellows on INTERACT programming, and half time to his/her own research and writing. The Fellow’s curricular responsibility will be to develop one course each semester (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017), in coordination with Columbia’s Global Core Curriculum, focusing on East Asia in a global context. The Fellow is required to be in residence in the New York City area and participate in all activities of the INTERACT program collaborative.
• Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (completed and filed the dissertation) between May 2014 and July 2016.
• Candidates from all East Asian disciplines and areas of study are welcome to apply. Geographically this includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Tibet.
• Applications from individuals who hold or have held teaching appointments will not be considered.
The following list of materials is required for all applicants:
• INTERACT Application Cover Sheet 2016-2017
• Updated Curriculum vitae, including a list of classes taught (if any)
• Course evaluations for classes taught (if any)
• A statement not exceeding 300 words that conveys your personal outlook on trans-regional and global approaches and their role in the undergraduate curriculum.
• Two proposals for undergraduate courses to be offered at Columbia University. These courses are to be offered without prerequisites, and must emphasize cross-border, trans-regional, and interdisciplinary approaches that connect back to the East Asia region. These course proposals are meant to convey a sense of your teaching interests beyond the specialized topic of your PhD research. Please see “Constructing a Course Syllabus” for format guidelines here.
• 3 letters of reference (signed and sealed) that include an evaluation of your research, proposed courses, and prior teaching experience.
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before February 25, 2016. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. Candidates may be invited for a phone interview or an interview in person. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
Awards will be announced no later than April 29, 2016.
Return completed applications to:
INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowship
ATTN: Lucy March
Weatherhead East Asian Institute
420 West 118th Street, Room 934
New York, NY 10027
For more information about the INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowship, please contact Lucy March, Student Affairs Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.