Postdoctoral Research Scholar
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute invites applications for the role of Postdoctoral Research Scholar for academic year 2022-2023. WEAI seeks scholars who study Modern China from a broad range of disciplines, including but not limited to Anthropology, Economics, History, Literature, Media Studies, Political Science, Religious Studies, and Sociology. The Research Scholar will teach two courses directed at advanced undergraduate and M.A. students during their appointment as well as pursue his or her own research. The research scholar will participate in collaborative projects with other Modern China scholars, staff and students, and they will be an active participant in day-to-day WEAI programs and events.
The appointment will cover a 12-month period beginning September 1, 2022, ending August 31, 2023. The position comes with shared office space and access to the libraries and resources of Columbia University. The incumbent is eligible for benefits, including health and dental.
- Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (dissertation completed and filed) between August 31, 2019 and August 31, 2022.
- Individuals without prior full-time teaching experience preferred.
To apply, submit application materials to Rattana Bounsouaysana ([email protected]). Please note that applicants are required to send all files in one email or to upload them to a cloud-based application and send the URL via email for full consideration. Faxed or mailed applications will not be considered.
- Application Cover Sheet
- 1-2 page Cover Letter that briefly states your interest in the position, your background, and a summary of your research
- Curriculum Vitae, up-to-date and including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Two Course Syllabi for seminars (to be offered to M.A. and advanced undergraduate students)
- Two Letters of Reference (provided via Interfolio or emailed directly from the referee to Rattana Bounsouaysana [[email protected]]) that include an evaluation of the applicant’s research and prior teaching experience (if any)
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before June 1, 2022. Candidates may be invited for an interview to be held by phone or video. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.