Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Modern Vietnamese Studies
WEAI seeks a Postdoctoral Research Scholar who studies Vietnam from any of a broad range of disciplines within the social sciences or the humanities. The Research Scholar will teach one course each semester as well as pursue his or her own research. At least one of the two courses will be a seminar in the Research Scholar's area of expertise, directed at advanced undergraduate and M.A. students. The Research Scholar will participate in collaborative projects with other Vietnamese studies scholars, staff and students, and s/he will be an active participant in day-to-day WEAI programs and events.
The appointment is for the 2021-2022 academic year, beginning September 1, 2021, ending August 31, 2022. The position comes with shared office space and access to the libraries and resources of Columbia University. The incumbent is eligible for a number of benefits, including health and dental.
- Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (dissertation completed and filed) between May 1, 2018 and August 31, 2021.
- Individuals without prior full-time teaching experience preferred.
To apply, submit application materials to Amy Nardie-Warner (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applicants are required to send all files in one email or to upload them to a cloud-based application and send the URL via email for full consideration. Faxed or mailed applications will not be considered.
- Application Cover Sheet
- 1-2 page Cover Letter that briefly states your interest in the program, your background, and a summary of your research
- Curriculum Vitae, up-to-date and including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Course Evaluations for classes taught (if any)
- Two Course Syllabi for seminars (to be offered to M.A. and advanced undergraduate students)
- Three Letters of Reference (provided via Interfolio) that include an evaluation of the applicant’s research, proposed courses, and prior teaching experience
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before March 19, 2021. Candidates may be invited for an interview to be held by video, phone or in person. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
Awards will be announced no later than April 16, 2020. Acceptance of award is due no later than May 1, 2020. For more information about Vietnam studies at the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, please visit our website, http://weai.columbia.edu/.